Chlordiazepoxide (By mouth)
Chlordiazepoxide Hydrochloride (klor-dye-az-e-POX-ide hye-droe-KLOR-ide)
Treats anxiety, symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, and tremor. This medicine is a benzodiazepine.
LibriumThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use chlordiazepoxide if you have had an allergic reaction to any other benzodiazepine medicines, such as Valium®, Xanax®, and Halcion®.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- May be taken with or without food.
- Drink plenty of liquids.
If a dose is missed:
- Take as soon as possible if you are less than 1 hour late with your dose.
- If it is almost time for your next regular dose, wait until then to take your medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature, away from excess heat, moisture, and light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine.
- You should not use this medicine with other drugs that make you sleepy such as sedatives, sleeping pills, antihistamines, some antidepressants, and narcotic pain-killers.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have porphyria or liver or kidney disease before you take this medicine.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. You should not use more than the prescribed amount or for longer periods than your doctor has ordered.
- This medicine can cause dizziness or drowsiness. Be careful if driving or using machinery.
- If you have taken this medicine for a long time or in large doses, do not stop taking it suddenly. You may need to take smaller and smaller doses before completely stopping.
- The side effects of this medicine may be stronger in older adults and children.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Depressed mood or severe confusion
- Extreme unsteadiness (trouble standing)
- Severe drowsiness and weakness
- Slow heartbeat
- Sudden mood changes
- Trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision, headache
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Drowsiness, dizziness, clumsiness
- Dry mouth, upset stomach
- Feeling "hungover" the next morning after bedtime use
- Trouble concentrating
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.