What is it?
The cells of our body are mostly made up of water. They also contain small amounts of organic and inorganic material. Properly nourished cells provide us with the building blocks of health. Cell salt therapy attempts to restore the proper balance of the inorganic salts in the cells by providing 12 essential salts that occur in human cells. Cell salts are also known as Schuessler cell salts, for the name of the doctor who first used them.
In 1872, Dr. Wilhelm Schuessler, a homeopathic physician, started prescribing these 12 essential salts to his patients. He believed illness was often related to a lack of one or more of these salts and supplementing the salts to the patient would lead to healing.
Dr. Schuessler thought that giving the mineral salts in large amounts could destroy the function of healthy cells; therefore, he chose to dilute the salts to a (diluted) homeopathic potency. The cell salt powder or pellets would be taken under the tongue and enter the blood stream through the small capillaries in the mouth.
Each of the twelve cell salts are thought to be helpful for many conditions, but the following information covers the main uses of these remedies.
- Calc Fluor is used for bones, teeth, blood vessels, and connective tissue. It can be used in treating hemorrhoids, fibroids, varicose veins, swollen glands, and weak ligaments and tendons.
- Calc Phos is also used for bone tissues, restoring strength after illness, and for muscle cramps and spasms. It can also be used in osteoporosis, broken bones, poor development of bones or teeth, hiatal hernias, uterine prolapse, and chronic infections.
- Calc Sulph is used for wound healing, building new tissues, and to help the liver detoxify the blood. It is also used in superficial burns, acne, ulcers, boils, abscesses, mucus membrane inflammation, bronchitis, sinusitis, and pinkeye.
- Ferr Phos helps the blood carry oxygen, strengthen the blood vessels, and fight infections. It is used in low-grade fevers, bruises, trauma, excessive nosebleeds, and anemia (especially during pregnancy), bleeding ulcers, irregular menses, toothaches, and inflamed gums.
- Kali Mur is contained in muscles, nerve, brain, and blood cells. It is used with to treat closed eustachian tubes, laryngitis, pleurisy, dry eczema, diarrhea, vaginal discharge, dry coughs, and can help thin mucus.
- Kali Phos regulates and regenerates the nervous system. It is used in fatigue, stress, exhaustion, vertigo, spasms, numbness, depression, nervous headaches, skin eruptions, stress-induced high blood pressure, numbness, and anxiety.
- Kali Sulph carries oxygen to the cells. It is also used with chronic ear infections, skin problems, joint or nerve pain, and chronic thick mucus.
- Mag Phos is found in the blood, bones, teeth, spine, nerves, and brain. It is used with muscle spasms and cramps, sudden loss of energy, back pain, pre-menstrual cramps, irritability, teething pain, and heart arrythmias.
- Nat Mur helps with the proper distribution of water in the body and corrects excessive dryness or moisture anywhere in the body. It is used with wet eczema, dry mouth, tinnitus, cataracts, diarrhea, blisters, fever, hayfever, and swelling.
- Nat Phos regulates the acid-base balance and the assimilation of fats. It can help with heartburn, arthritis, poor digestion, acid stomachaches, gall and kidney stones, excess perspiration, morning sickness, and fibromyalgia.
- Nat Sulph removes excess water from the cells and the connective tissue and improves liver function. It is used in diabetes, enuresis, poor appetite, jaundice, swelling, influenza, and poor digestion.
- Silica is found in connective tissues, bones, hair, teeth, nails, and nerve cells. It is used to improve kidney function, exhaustion, adrenal weakness, poor absorption of nutrients, and patients who are easily chilled.
Cell salts are available in liquid drops or in small pellets. Most health food stores carry cell salts and books about how to use them. Many alternative doctors, chiropractors, naturopaths and nutritionists use cell salts in their practices.
For more information:
- American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (800) 206-7610
- International Foundation for Homeopathy (206) 324-8230
- National Center for Homeopathy (703) 548-7790
- Homeopathic Academy of Naturopathic Physicians (503) 761-3298
1. Boericke W & Dewey W: The Twelve Tissue Remedies of Schussler. Jain Publishers, New Delhi, India; 1985.
2. Inglis B & West R: The Alternative Health Guide. Alfred A. Knopf, NY, NY; 1983.
3. Weintraub S: Healing the Body Naturally with Cell Salts. Complementary Medicine Publishing Co, Portland, OR; 1993.
4. Woodham A & Peters D: Encyclopedia of Healing Therapies, 1st ed. Dorling Kindersley, NY, NY; 1997.
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.