What is it?
Propionyl-L-carnitine is a dietary supplement used to treat heart problems and improve blood flow in the body.
Other names for propionyl-L-carnitine include: carnitine, L-carnitine, and PLC.
Ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist if you need more information about this medicine or if any information in this leaflet concerns you.
Tell your doctor if you
Talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or nurse about how much propionyl-L-carnitine you should take. The amount depends on the strength of the medicine and the reason you are taking propionyl-L-carnitine. If you are using this medicine without instructions from your caregiver, follow the directions on the label. Do not take more propionyl-L-carnitine or take it more often than what is written on the directions.
To store this medicine:
Keep all medicine locked up and away from children. Store medicine away from heat and direct light. Do not store your medicine in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink, or in other damp places. Heat or moisture may cause the medicine to break down and not work the way it should work. Throw away medicine that is out of date or that you do not need. Never share your medicine with others.
Drug and Food Interactions:
Do not take propionyl-L-carnitine without talking to your doctor first.
Stop taking your medicine right away and talk to your doctor if you have any of the following side effects.
Other Side Effects:
You may have the following side effects, but this medicine may also cause other side effects. Tell your doctor if you have side effects that you think are caused by this medicine.
1. Bolognesi M, Amidio P, Merkel C et al: Effect of 8-day therapy with propionyl-L-carnitine on muscular and subcutaneous blood flow of the lower limbs in patients with peripheral arterial disease. Clin Physiol 1995; 15(5):417-423.
2. Brevetti G, Perna S, Sabba C et al: Propionyl-L-carnitine in intermittent claudication: double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose titration, multicenter study. J Am Coll Cardiol 1995; 26(6):1411-1416.
3. Coto V, D'Alessandro L, Grattarola G et al: Evaluation of the therapeutic efficacy and tolerability of levocarnitine propionyl in the treatment of chronic obstructive arteriopathies of the lower extremities: a multicentre controlled study vs placebo. Drugs Exp Clin Res 1992; 18:29-36.
4. Mancini M, Rengo F, Lingetti M et al: Controlled study on the therapeutic efficacy of propionyl-L-carnitine in patients with congestive heart failure. Arzneimittelforschung 1992; 42(9):1101-1104.
5. Signorelli SS, Di Pino L, Costa MP et al: Efficacy of L-propionyl-carnitine in the treatment of chronic critical limb ischemia. Clin Drug Invest 2001; 21(8):555-561.
Last Updated: 4/4/2014
Copyright © 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.