What is it?
Tylophora is an herbal medicine used for asthma, high blood pressure, diarrhea (loose bowel movements), allergies, upset stomach, and inflammation (red, swollen joints).
Other names for Tylophora include: Indian ipecac, Tylophora indica, Tylophora asthmatica, and Tylophora vomitoria.
Ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist if you need more information about this medicine or if any information in this leaflet concerns you.
Tell your doctor if you
Talk with your caregiver about how much Tylophora you should take. The amount depends on the strength of the medicine and the reason you are taking Tylophora. If you are using this medicine without instructions from your caregiver, follow the directions on the medicine bottle. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than the directions tell you to.
To store this medicine:
Keep all medicine locked up and away from children. Store medicine away from heat and direct light. Do not store your medicine in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink, or in other damp places. Heat or moisture may cause the medicine to break down and not work the way it should work. Throw away medicine that is out of date or that you do not need. Never share your medicine with others.
Drug and Food Interactions:
Do not take Tylophora without talking to your doctor first if you are taking:
Stop taking your medicine right away and talk to your doctor if you have any of the following side effects. Your medicine may be causing these symptoms which may mean you are allergic to it.
Other Side Effects:
You may have the following side effects, but this medicine may also cause other side effects. Tell your doctor if you have side effects that you think are caused by this medicine.
1. Bone K: Clinical Applications of Ayurvedic and Chinese Herbs, Phytotherapy Press, Warwick, Queensland, Australia; 2000.
2. Shivpuri DN, Singhal SC & Parkash D: Treatment of asthma with an alcoholic extract of Tylophora indica: a cross-over, double-blind study. Ann Allergy 1972; 30(7):407-412.
3. Thiruvengadam KV, Haranath K, Sudarsan S et al: Tylophora indica in bronchial asthma (a controlled comparison with a standard anti-asthmatic drug). J Indian Med Assoc 1978; 71(7):172-176.
4. Gopalakrishnan C, Shankaranarayan D, Kameswaran L et al: Pharmacological investigations of tylophorine, the major alkaloid of Tylophora indica. Indian J Med Res 1979; 69:513-520.
5. Gupta S, George P, Gupta V et al: Tylophora indica in bronchial asthma-a double blind study. Indian J Med Res 1979; 69:981-989.
6. Shivpuri DN, Menon MP & Parkash D: Preliminary studies in Tylophora indica in the treatment of asthma and allergic rhinitis. J Assoc Physicians India 1968; 16(1):9-15.
Last Updated: 4/4/2014
Copyright © 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.