What is it?
Cola is an herbal medicine used to treat depression, exhaustion (tiredness), diarrhea, and migraine headache.
Other names for Cola include: Cola Seed, Kola Nut, and Guru Nut.
Ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist if you need more information about this medicine or if any information in this leaflet concerns you.
Tell your doctor if you
- are taking medicine or are allergic to any medicine (prescription or over-the-counter (OTC) or dietary supplement)
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medicine
- are breastfeeding
- have stomach or intestinal ulcers
- have any other health problems, such as high blood pressure or heart or blood vessel disease
Talk with your caregiver about how much Cola you should take. The amount depends on the strength of the medicine and the reason you are taking Cola. If you are using this medicine without instructions from your caregiver, follow the directions on the medicine bottle. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than the directions tell you to.
To store this medicine:
Keep all medicine locked up and away from children. Store medicine away from heat and direct light. Do not store your medicine in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink, or in other damp places. Heat or moisture may cause the medicine to break down and not work the way it should work. Throw away medicine that is out of date or that you do not need. Never share your medicine with others.
Drug and Food Interactions: Do not take Cola without talking to your doctor first if you are taking:
- Ma huang (ephedra) (7)
- Before taking Cola, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Do not take Cola if you have stomach or intestinal ulcers (6)
Stop taking your medicine right away and talk to your doctor if you have any of the following side effects. Your medicine may be causing these symptoms which may mean you are allergic to it.
- Breathing problems or tightness in your throat or chest
- Chest pain
- Skin hives, rash, or itchy or swollen skin
Other Side Effects:
You may have the following side effects, but this medicine may also cause other side effects. Tell your doctor if you have side effects that you think are caused by this medicine.
- May cause sleeplessness and nervous restlessness (2,6)
- May cause tremors (shaking) and palpitations (pounding heart beats) (2)
- May cause withdrawal headache (after stopping Cola) (2)
- May cause stomach soreness and irritation (6)
1. Bradley PR, editor: British Herbal Compendium, Vol 1. British Herbal Medicine Association, Bournemouth, UK; 1992.
2. Newall CA, Anderson LA & Phillipson JD: In Herbal Medicines, A Guide For Health-care professionals. Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, UK; 1996.
3. Reynolds JEF (ed): Martindale: The Extra Pharmacopoeia, 29th edition. The Pharmaceutical Press, London, UK; 1989.
4. McGuffin M, Hobbs C, Upton R et al (eds): American Herbal Products Association's Botanical Safety Handbook. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL; 1997.
5. Brinker F: Herb Contraindications and Drug Interactions. Eclectic Medical Publications, Sandy, OR; 1998.
6. Blumenthal M, Busse WR, Goldberg A et al: The Complete Commission E Monographs; Therapeutic Guide to Herbal Medicines. American Botanical Council, Austin, TX; 1998.
7. Boozer CN, Daly PA, Homel P et al: Herbal ephedra/caffeine for weight loss: a 6-month randomized safety and efficacy trial. Int J Obesity 2002; 26:593-604.
Last Updated: 11/4/2014